Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mark Millar Calls for Artists - Even the best writers need an inspiring artist

I hope writers seeking an artist for their comic ideas took note of my recent post, What are artists worth? and especially the dialogue that inspired it, which was summarized in writer Mike Luoma's blog post at Cosmic Comics, Shut Up and Put Out Your Comic!  If you didn't, it's too late.  Mike's post is now gone.

In its place is a notice stating that all Mike requested the removal of all his articles "due to a difference of opinion."  I can't really comment on an argument I have no knowledge of. I an only say that I hope it wasn't one of those petty fights passionate fans get in leading them to consider one another dead to them.  I'm just disappointed such a good overview of a discussion I took part on the business networking site LinkedIn, is no longer available for reference.

The original exchange was lengthy but confined to members of the Comic Book Business for Creators and Creations discussion group.  If I ever get a whole day or two to devote to it, I'll make an effort to summarize it myself.  But that may be a little ways away.  Good things are worth waiting for.


In the mean time, you're not the only writer looking for an artist/collaborator. So is Mark Millar. The hotshot Scottish writer is the mind behind Marvel's Ultimates, Civil War, a run on Wildstorm's The Authority and creator-owned projects like Wanted, Kick-Ass and his latest, Nemesis.

Millar posted a call for unknown artists on his Millarworld message board to partner with himfor a new project. Mark is seeking inspiration outside the comic book mainstream to work with someone with a unique style.

 "If you're anime, painterly, non-sequential, cartoony or just a traditional superhero artist please post a sample below. Fame and fortune awaits."

The best part is seeing the wide variety of artists who responding to the call. Check them out on Mark's forum thread, I'M LOOKING FOR AN UNPUBLISHED ARTIST! BIG, SPECIAL NON-MARVEL PROJECT!

Beavers Up! 





No comments:

Post a Comment